15 miler
Was supposed to do 15 miles last Sunday but could not because of a sudden unplanned trip to Washington DC to meet a friend.
My running since my last post until today had been:
Tuesday Aug 23 - 6 laps (Univ Park)
Wednesday Aug 24 - 9 laps (Univ Park)
Sunday Aug 28 - missed the run coz of the DC trip.
Wednesday Aug 31 - 11 laps (Univ Park)
As is evident, my running schedule has been quite sporadic, Owing mainly to a sudden lot of work in my lab. So the 15 miler was intended to be a redeemer. And a redeemer it was...
Since this was the long weekend, everyone had gone vacationing, and left were only 6 runners + coach Tom, a friend of his (I think her name was Donna), and the ever dedicated Asha volunteers. The previous night was the Coldplay concert, which got over late in the night, and was followed by my car clutch plate breaking down and the car getting towed from Holmdel at 2 in the night. Managed to go to sleep around 3:30 and got up at 6:55. Hardly any sleep. And there were 6 runners in all. The others were not doing more than 12 miles, so I was worried I would be the last to finish and make others wait for me. Weather was the saving grace, it was totally amazing, cool, chilly climate. Started running at 7:42 am and this time I timed myself. The plan for 15 was to go to the 5 miler mark, come back to the start, go to the 2 miler mark, run half mile more, come back to the 2 miler mark, and then back again to the start. At the start of the race I was quite fast. Most of the run I was alone, and it was extremely boring. At around 7 miles, coach Tom crossed me, actually he just zipped past me, he was doing 7 1/2 mins per mile speed! Seeing his speed enthused me and I increased my pace too. Reached the start mark, and coach then told me to go easy for the remaining distance, in retrospect if I had continued the same pace I may not even have been able to finish the distance. When I went back to the 2 mile mark, thats when I found out that I'm actually not the last runner and there were atleast 2 people still behind me. That was extremely reassuring!
I finally finished the 15 miles in 2 hrs 32 minutes, which I felt was not bad for the first time. In fact I was quite surprised at how nice I felt after the run, was expecting to have an aching body all over :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home